Sunday, September 6, 2009

I have survived the first week of school. The first two days Madison was having a terrible experience exiting the school. All walkers (that includes my kids because we live 1 mile from the school and you need to live 1.3 miles to take the bus) (and this does not include kindergartners they are picked up at the kindergarten doors) exit the front of the school. They are excused before the kids who ride buses. Not a big deal except that Madison expected Mindy to come by her room on the way out of the school to kind of pick her up. Mindy is on the second floor this year and was not allowed to go down the back stairway. Instead she needed to walk all around the top floor until she hit the stairway at the front of the school. Not a big deal except Madison's classroom is in the back of the school. Now that Mindy is almost to the front doors she does not think about Madison. She just wants to get out. Madison finally comes out of the school but is so distraught that she can hardly control herself. She is so mad a Mindy for not coming by and I think a bit anxious that she may have been forgotten. All I get when she gets out the doors is crying, screaming and kicking her feet. I think if I was not there she may have attacked Mindy. Mindy still did not manage to get to Madison's classroom on Tuesday and I had the same seriously upset kid. So Wednesday when I walked them to school I stayed after to talk to the Dr. Pastor. We worked out a way that Mindy could back track to Madison's classroom. Dr. Pastor called the girls out of class and I talked them about the plan. Wednesday afternoon was smooth. Well until I asked Mindy if everything was okay. She said she had lost her lunch box because the boys in charge of the basket that week did not hear her when she called to them to get her lunch box. She said they were deaf. So, after lunch everyone lines up to go out for recess and the two kids assigned from each class to take care of the lunch baskets gather the lunch boxes and carry them back to the room and then meet the rest of the class outside. Mindy was upset she felt they were just being mean to her so the lunch lady said don't worry I will get it back to your room. Mindy did not think anything else of it and at the end of the day when she is back in her homeroom she looks in the basket and her lunchbox is not there. Madison takes her by the hand and says come on lets go get it. They go back into the school and search but they can not find it. Dr. Pastor reassures them that it will show up tomorrow in someones room and they will get it back to her. Sure enough she gets it back on Thursday, all is well. Mean while my little guy is having a blast in kindergarten. Although Friday was the only day he did not bring is lunch back home to eat. I don't know how is was surviving without eating lunch but everyday I would open up his lunch box and everything would still be there. He is amazing. Friday was the only day I packed a cheese sandwich instead of a peanut butter sandwich it could have all been a show of stubbornness because peanut butter sandwiches are not his favorite. Max loves that he does not have homework and the girls do have homework but that will all change at the beginning of October. We will let him enjoy it while he can. I hope we have left the drama of this week behind us and we can enjoy the rest of the year. Really I don't think that is possible with my girls but I can dream.

3 comments:

  1. I know the first week is supposed to be crazy, but wow! Quite the crazy drama. The sister part is always hard, and Steph and I still cross lines about who is picking up who from where and at what time. You're playing the part of 'Patient Mom' very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha- sorry Shellie- hope that they got it all out that first week. Those poor girls had a rough bit there. Glad Max loves K!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, we had lunch dramas too! Ethan forgot his lunch box twice at school and Elizabeth forgot hers once at home. They let her buy lunch but said to bring money or else she would be stealing. Now she's nervous about not stealing from the school!

    ReplyDelete